Monday, February 28, 2011

Eye Candy.

Exercising my new motto, "less plan, more play."

Although the concierge at our Embassy Row hotel assured me that everything in Georgetown would be open by 10:00am, nothing was.

It was 10:05 on Sunday morning and we were cold. Our only options for warming little fingers and toes were Starbucks and Urban Outfitters. We knew that if we went into Starbucks, we'd be besieged with requests for old-fashioned donuts, hot cocoa, and blueberry muffins. So, we chose Urban Outfitters. Mind you, Urban Outfitters is a five-year-old girl's paradise. Fuchsia sequined headbands, faux crystal lamps draped with silvery sparkly stuff, over-sized hot-pink and black coffee mugs, teal and lavender big print floral quilts, tangerine shag bathroom rugs, and rack upon rack of dresses, jeans, and skirts adorned with bling, lace, or animal prints. I had no doubt that this haphazard pop-in would be the highlight of Ellie's trip to Washington, DC.

Well, if Urban Outfitters is a five-year-old girl's paradise, then it is an 18-month-old, newly-walking, toddler's very own Garden of Eden. Everything is at eye-level. Ripe for the picking. Readily available to his trolling hand. So, it should come as no surprise that I lost sight of Benj, Ellie and Sylvie for a brief moment while I peeled Tariku's fingers from around the rump of a small porcelain bunny. When I looked up, I saw the three of them across the store, hunched over a large book. Ben's eyes were wide and his hands were gesturing wildly. Sylvie was giggling. And Ellie was holding the book in the air, tilting it so that she could explore the over-sized photographs from various angles.

I got nervous. They were a little too interested, if you know what I mean. What if the book contained (gasp) obscene images?

Well, it turns out it did.

227 pages of full-frontal, full-color photographs of cupcake after delicious cupcake.

We bought the book. (What's New, Cupcake? by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson.) Scandalous. And made these cupcakes together. Piece of cake. Literally.






9 comments:

  1. those were marshmallows?!?!? No way! I've been planning my next cupcake endevor around petal decorating tips (and having nightmares about it). THIS I can do... I think.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous, I can't wait to try it! You're the best, thanks for posting the instructions!!! I've seen that book and haven't been sure I could actually accomplish the tasks...this one doesn't seem too hard. Is it a good representation of the rest of the recipes?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have that book, too! I haven't dared try any of the recipes yet (it was a gift), but the kids have been begging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I KNEW it! I called it! Mini marshmallows. We will be buying a back asap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. attempt #100...
    Do you know how many times i have had that book in my hand and said to myself...who am i kidding????!!!! I'm impressed! Has Ellie already picked out her cupcakes for her next 5 birthdays???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been good for nearly 5 weeks not eating candy but I think you just now put me over the top.. I want some of that so badly. Think I am gonna have to go for a midnight run for some eye candy:) I have to buy that book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is on my list of things to do this week! Now I just need to decide whether it will be a better activity to do with a playdate or grandparents coming...hmmm..

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're amazing!!! Never realized you actually wanted comments/feedback...not that you'd listen anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rachael,

    I just sent you an email, but wanted to leave you a comment too. Our email is secure so sometimes it gets sent to your junk inbox, so just be on the look out for it :)

    Charity

    ReplyDelete